What is the Best Aftershave for Men
Looking for the best aftershave for men? We review some of the top picks that help you get that refreshing feeling after you’ve shaved. Using aftershave is one of the most common things men use on their faces right after cutting off facial hair.
What Is Aftershave For?
Aftershave comes in a variety of forms. Which one suits you and your skin best really depends on the type of aftershave you use along with the ingredients that are in them. Needless to say, it boils down to trying them out.
Some of the most common types include lotion and balm. Although there are also those in gel or powder form.
You use aftershave, just as its name says, after shaving. The reason it is useful comes down to 4 main things:
1. It is antiseptic. This is by far the most important. When you shave, you sometimes get small cuts. Even when you don’t feel them, the sharp edges of blades can cause those micro-cuts that open the skin up. While usually harmless, if unclean can lead to infection. The contents in aftershave act as an antiseptic to prevent infection from happening, usually with some type of alcohol or chemicals with other anti-infection properties.
2. They work as astringent. What astringents do is once the hit parts of our body, in this case the skin, it makes it contract. This is helpful when you have cuts, as it helps close the wound faster.
3. They moisturize your skin. As an added bonus, aftershaves today now come with skin healing and nourishing properties, thanks to the addition of certain components like aloe vera and others that help any damaged skin recover and rejuvenate.
4. Fresh smell. This is more trivial compared to the others which have a more meaningful purpose. But let’s face it, it’s nice to smell good. The added fragrance in these lotions, gels and balms are sometimes the reason why a person chooses one aftershave over another, simply because they like how its smells on them after. For those who don’t like any fragrances, unscented versions are always available.
Our Picks for Best Aftershave for Men
After Shave Balm by the Art of Shaving
The balm moisturizes the skin and is formulated with vitamin C, shea butter and grapeseed extract. These properties also help to revitalize and rejuvenate your skin.
It is suitable for most skin types including dry, sensitive and normal. This shaving balm contains no alcohol and is antiseptic so it can be applied to broken skin.
It does not irritate the skin that other products that claim to be for sensitive skin do. A little of this lotion goes a long way and so one bottle will last a considerable amount of time.
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Nivea For Men has a post shaving balm that’s made for people with sensitive skin. Of course it works for people who’s skin aren’t sensitive too. The balm is dermatologically tested and made in Germany. It should be applied to the skin right after shaving and you may feel it’s soothing effects straight away.
The balm is not greasy and is quickly absorbed into your skin and calms it which can help to alleviate irritation after shaving. The balm is enriched with vitamin E and chamomile and also contains moisturizers. Your skin’s condition will be noticeably improved when using this balm and razor burn will be relieved.
The balm has been formulated speciﬁcally for sensitive skin and contains no alcohol. This balm is very reasonably priced and performs just as well as more expensive brands.
Proraso Aftershave Lotion
The toning and cooling properties of the lotion come from a selection of natural and fresh ingredients including eucalyptus oil and the cooling sensation will really refresh your skin.
Another of the ingredients, witch hazel, reduces the occurrence of razor burn and can also stop rashes developing on your skin. The lotion contains no artiﬁcial colors and is also free of mineral oils, silicons and parabens. The scent can be quite strong when you first apply the lotion but it mellows after a while to leave a refreshing scent.
Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic
The lotion will not sting your face and instantly soothes and refreshes the skin as soon as it is applied. Its soothing properties come from it’s natural ingredients which include chamomile, calendula and aloe vera. It is also paraben free. The lotion is non-greasy and has a cooling effect on your skin. It does not have a strong scent so it can be applied before using a cologne without interfering with the smell. It is more expensive than other lotions of this type but is does last a long time.
How To Use Aftershave
The following video is a guide on how to use aftershave. It may sound straightforward but knowing what to do right after putting down the razor helps give you the refreshing feeling when you’re done.
To summarize the steps:
- After shaving, rinse your face with warm water. This will get rid of any excess soap, cream from your face as well as clean it.
- Splash cold water to the areas you just shaved. This will help close the pores of the skin. You want your skin’s pores to be closed before applying aftershave so it won’t get irritated.
- Use a towel to dry your face.
- Get your favorite aftershave and apply it on the shaved area in a gentle fashion.